he Chateau is located in Erpeldange, Luxembourg. The earliest known settlers in the
region were Celtic people, followed by the Romans in 53 B.B., then Huns, and lastly
Frankish (German) tribes. The settlement of the village itself probably started in the
thirteenth century with the establishment of a cloister (convent or monastery) there.
At about the same time (1247?) there appeared Frederic and Gerard d' Erpeldange
(Lerpeldenge), the first Lords of Erpeldange, vessals of the count of Vianden,
who probably built the first schloss (castle). In the fifteenth century it came under
the domain of a family enventually to be known as the Gondersdorf family. In 1691
it passed by marriage to the du Prel family.
he Chateau (castle, schloos) is not the typical castle built on a high point for good
protection, it is on flat land, although surrounded by walls which probably did provide
some protection. The other function of a Chateau was to serve as the residence and
principal operating location of the Lord of the Manor.
he first Chateau, which probably was quite different than the present one, is believed
to have been built by the Knights Frederich and Gerard d'Erpeldange, first
seigneurs d'Erpeldange, vassaux de Compte de Vianden, in 1247-1252. about 1437 it passed
by decree to Louis Brandenburg-Outscheid and the family von Moestroff-Kerpen.
The latter added the name von Gondersdorf (source unknown) and came to be known as the
he new Chateau was built in 1630 for a daughter of the Gondersdorf family. In 1677 the
Chateau was passed in marriage to the Charles Francois baron de Failly de Sancy
and Marie Marguerite de Giraldin. In 1691 it was again passed in marriage, this time to
to Gerard baron du Prel de Chapois and Marie Madeleine de Failly daughter of the
Charles Francois baron de Failly.
he Chateau from 1840 to 1882 was owned by the Church of Erpeldange and was occupied by the local priest
Joseph Kalbersch until 1858. It also served part time as the parish church.
The Chateau was passed In 1882 to the Dutch M. Willem Keun family of the Haye in exchange for the construction of a new Church,
a Presbytery and a Cemetery. In 1903 the Chateau was owned by Michel Thilges of Wiltz. During the second World War
the Chateau was occupied in turn by German and American troops and was
In recent years the Chateau has been owned and occupied by the Bos family. When the Bos family
purchased the property there was very little remaining but the walls. A governess for a deceased former
owner, unhappy with her inheritance, had deliberately burned many of the furnishings and documents.
he Chateau remained mostly in private hands until it was acquired by the Luxembourg Government in
1983. Nowadays, it hosts the administration offices for the commune Erpeldange.
Before 1200: Probably a mound, artificial hill with a tower and another wooden building, surrounded by water and a fence.
13th century: Frédéric and Gérard de Erpeldange - Construction of the first castle built of stone,
surrounded by a ditch supplied with water from the river Sure.
15th century: Gérard and Henri de Erpeldange, known as von Kerpen; their inheriters Louis
d'Outscheid and his sons Charles and Frédéric; then the brothers Tholeman and Geroges
1464: Damien de Gondersdorf
1478: de Beifels part of the chateau to de Gondersdorf
1627: Erpeldange becomes a Feudal estate of the Duc of Luxemburg.
1630: Construction of the new castle by Guillaume Bernard de Gondersdorf, surrounded by a second enclosure of walls; The castle is without military value.
1677: Charles Francois baron de Failly of Sancy.
1691: Gérard baron du Prel de Chapois, General of France, construction / restoration; died in 1733.
1733: Charles Antoine baron du Prel, councillor of the Court Robe; died in 1762
1762: Charles Joseph baron du Prel, councillor to the Conseil Provincial in Luxemburg; died in 1812
1812: Philippe Conrad Auguste baron du Prel; died in 1848
1838 Preparation: Property of the Joseph Kalbersch; some transformations.
1847: The chateau becomes a rectory
1882: Property of Willem Keun, he modified and enlarged the chateau, exterior and interior.
1943: Office social of Wiltz
1944: Jacques Bos (pharmacist) installs his laboratory of pharmaceutical products
1983: Acquisition by the government, for the administration offices, for the commune of Erpeldange.
The arms were granted on September 21, 1978.
The arms are derived from elements from the arms of several families. The division of the shield is taken from the arms of Frédéric and Gérard of Erpeldange in the 13th century, who used a St. Andrew's cross in their arms.
The roundels are taken from the arms of the Gondersdorf family, who used 5 black roundels on two bars. The Gondersdorf family ruled Erpeldange from 1464-1691.
The stars are derived from the arms of Baron du Prel, who acquired Erpeldange in 1691 through his marriage with Marie de Failly, descendant of the Gondersdorf family. More on this family and its arms can be found here.
Loutsch, J-C. et al.; Armorial communal du Grand-Duché de Luxembourg, Fisch, Luxembourg, 1989, 331 p.
1. The Booklet: Publication de l'Administration Communale d'Erpeldange
a. Booklet Photographs: Raymond Clement
b. Booklet Layout: Alfred Steinmeter
c. Booklet Imprimerie Fr. Faber